Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Week 6 : Post 2



All I can say is that my life is pretty plain
I like watchin' the puddles gather rain
And all I can do is just pour some tea for two
and speak my point of view
But it's not sane, It's not sane
I just want some one to say to me
I'll always be there when you wake
Ya know I'd like to keep my cheeks dry today
So stay with me and I'll have it made
And I don't understand why I sleep all day
And I start to complain that there's no rain
And all I can do is read a book to stay awake
And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape
escape......escape......escape......
All I can say is that my life is pretty plain
ya don't like my point of view
ya think I'm insane
Its not sane......it's not

Despite the upbeat tempo of this song, it is quite the plea for help. Lead singer Shannon Hoon, who suffered from a heavy drug addiction, co-wrote this song with Glen Graham, whose girlfriend was suffering with severe depression and agoraphobia. The song is a combination of isolation and depression associated with drug addiction and agoraphobia. The line “and I don’t understand why I sleep all day” is a clear indication of a symptom of depression. The strongest angle of this song is about not wanting to be alone. This is shown through several lines such as “I just want someone to say to me / I’ll always be there when you wake” and “and all I can do / is just pour some tea for two”. It displays someone who is constantly reaching for others and who is not at peace with themselves.

Unfortunately Hoon died at age 28 as a victim of his own drug vices. Graham started a new band with Stuart Cole (formerly of The Squirrel Nut Zippers). Check them out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment