Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Week 4 : Post 1

Before you discount body piercing as an art, consider that it is one of the most ancient and widespread forms of body decoration, also referred to as body art. Body piercing goes back to the Romans, who pierced their nipples to showcase their bravery and as a means to fasten their clothing. The Romans instituted body piercing in a symbolic and practical manner. Other cultures such as the Carafa Indians of South America, weave a small cane through their lower lip to show that they are in the prime of their life. Other common reasons for body piercings in primitive societies are as a reflection of status, a rite of passage or as an amulet to chase bad spirits away.

Despite the differences in culture and beliefs, body piercing has pioneered across many modern day societies. The increasing popularity and acceptance of body piercing is a result of the present disposable mindset of fashion and consumerism. Historically, body piercings told a story – the lifestyle of a person
(royalty vs. commoners), their life experiences (war trinkets) and character traits (bravery). Nowadays as people are more aware of tribal societies and their customs, they are mimicking these rituals in an attempt to apply the same meanings. Unfortunately, the true forgers of body art are slowly overlooking their ancient customs in an attempt to take on western standards.

Once limited to fringe groups like travelers, punks and members of the sadomasochistic scene, body piercings have taken a turn into the mainstream by way of the fashion world. First popularized were eyebrow and navel piercings. Once the fashion world publicized body piercings, it dictated to the mainstream that piercings were fashionable and set off the boom.

In my few years, I have had many piercings. I have experimented with all combinations of lip, nose, labret, monroe and other facial piercings. I’ve used hoops, studs, silver, gold and even put a dolphin stud in my nose once. I used body piercings as a means to express myself, though I couldn’t tell you exactly what it was I wanted them to say. I’m sure many will disagree with my statement that body piercings are art, but I feel I have captured the thought that art is subjective.

No comments:

Post a Comment